Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

The Shack: Reasons to Read

                I chose The Shack by William P. Young to read as my personal book for the next month or two. I chose this book because I have heard great things about this book. Almost everyone I know who read this book was impressed or amazed and really connected with the text. I also want to try a book that isn't fantasy. I recently finished the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, the last book in the Harry Potter series — and that's a whole lot of fantasy. Thankfully The Shack isn't a fantasy book and it's more of a fiction/realistic fiction book (it could be considered both), but that's a controversial & religious topic that I won't get into. This book has a lot of serious and deep topics and I thought it would be nice to try out a book like this, which brings me to another reason why I chose this book: there are elements that are used in a way that is foreign to me in terms of reading. My finished book inventory is basically full of light reads like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. Just simple books like that with a typical fall and rise design. The Shack, has a baroque and convoluted grid-like structure with bits subtle but important details speckled throughout the story that gradually assemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment