Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Summer Reading Assignment

      I chose the book Over and Under, by Todd Tucker. The book was about two boys, Andy and Tom who were from a previous era — specifically the summer of 1979. These boys had been best friends as long as they could remember and loved to explore the forest. However, the times in Borden, Indiana were difficult,  and these boys were put right though the middle of it.  Andy's dad was the manager of the Borden Casket Factory and Tom's dad was a laborer. The Laborer Union was striking for higher wages against the factory, so the boys were divided by political issues they were two young for. Throughout the summer of 1979 they must go through the awkward transition between a boy and a man and they experience and see tramatic things such as arson and even murder.

      In my opinion, the book Over and Under was and ok book. The book was based off a true story, so it was more of a sofisticated book using complicated intellect — the type that the average kid my age wouldn't enjoy. For me, this book was like going to an art museum, and I don't know if its just me, but I think art musuems are rather, boring. However, I think that this book is still a great book, and was compiled and scripted very well. The vocab Todd Tucker used was great too, and really helped you fathom or grasp what he was trying to portray. Overall I would give this book a five or six out of ten because while all the mechanics were great, the actuall story wasn't very interesting to be honest. And again, like I said this book was written based off a true story, so it didn't have the accelerated progression and tension or an underlying and clear theme like fiction movies and books do.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like an interesting book, I would like to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a cool book. Im looking for a new one and I might read it.

    ReplyDelete