3. Percy Jackson and the Olympians
This series was one of the first series I ever read, excluding bed time books like "The Original Peter Rabbit Books", a small books series my mom would read me and my sister when I was younger. This book really set my liking for fantasy off and eventually sci-fi. It was the first book that I actually got excited for/wanted to read. In fact, in either 5th or 4th grade, I can't quite remember, my math teacher actually asked me not to bring my book to class because I would read it too much! Nowadays, i'm sure my parents and (LA) teachers would be happy to be seeing me read a book on my own accord. Also, when I read the climax of the last book I got butterflies in my stomach. That's right. Butterflies. From a book. It had a great ending. Long story short--read this book.
2. Harry Potter Literary Series
If you don't know what the 'Literary Series' means, it's just a fancy word for the Harry Potter books. And I apologize for not having the most original books, but hey, if these books weren't good, then they wouldn't be popular. Now this series was a great series, one of the best children books out there. And for a scholastic book, it's unstoppable. I really connected with the characters could relate to some of the things Harry had to go through, even though his struggles were a bit more dramatic than mine. I also wish I could relate to his bad-ass wizard powers (sorry for using a bad word). This series was a great series and a very nice way to pass time too. Another thing I should mention is this book had a little bit of everything: romance, action, suspense, and a complicated story line. It was also very progressive and made every book better than the last. I've even considered re-reading this series; it was so good I was very nostalgic when I finished, as if I had just lost an old friend. If you're not going to read Percy Jackson, please, read this.
1. The Shack
Ah, the #1 book. The Shack. This book, I mean, it was something. Out of all the books i've read, this one I connected to the most. Even though I have never lost a daughter to a kidnapper, I could just feel Mac's pain and this book touched me and really stirred my emotions. The Shack is amazingly crafted, an absolute home-run. Grand slam. Out of the park. No questions asked. Period. The Shack is phenomenal. I have never read such an emotionally touching book in my life. And I may have to warn you, it talks about God a lot, maybe not the God in Christianity with an old white beard down to his feet, but just God in general, the loving one described by most religions. In fact, in the book God takes form of an African Woman to break old English beliefs/perceptions of God, such as sexism and anti-homosexuality. And I don't want to start world war three, but I would like to believe in a modernized God, not one that condemns homosexuals (they're loving people you know). Anyways, I really recommend you read this book. It's a great book to try something new and stray away from scholastic children novels.
No comments:
Post a Comment