Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

Fahrenheit 451 Review (and more?)

   You all know it as the so-called quintessence of all things boring and mundane but I have to say, it has a good meaning. Although Fahrenheit was quite hard to follow (for me anyways) and was kind of bizarre it still has a meaning that is not beyond reality. As a book, my rating for it would not be so high: I found this book rather uninteresting and had to force myself to read this book. I feel like it's a bit slow to start and although Beatty gets burned and Montag escapes later on, I still feel that it had an anti-climactic ending. Also, nothing in the plot had a really significant resolution. There wasn't really and amazing ending or a revolution and an uprising for books. And I believe that adding something like that would make it worse because it's not really set up to end like that but I think that mainstream books such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games have spoiled the modern user into big flashy endings, and less analysis of the actual meaning of the book. So as the modern definition of a 'book', it wasn't that great. However, the meaning the book furnished to you (or atleast attempted to) was prodigous. The meaning is timeless and can surely be used in future times. As to what the meaning is, I won't go into that because this is still a review and that's for you to interpret. But this is what modern books lack; they're more about the story than the meaning. For example, the meaning behind Harry Potter probably cannot be used efficiently in your everyday life (I apologize for bashing on Harry Potter so much). It's not that I think books should not be for fun and sole meaning but I think books should have a little bit of both.

           Anyways, back to the point: Fahrenheit 451 is both a great book and a bland book. It possesses what books today lack. (of course I could be completely wrong about this; my book inventory is built up of mostly children books like the example below) and I really appreciated the supplement of new critical points to think about. Now I would usually end this with an X/10 stars but I don't think it would be fair to depict this book in a standard star system. I think it is up to the reader's perspective and definition of a book to judge this.

No comments:

Post a Comment